Wednesday, March 7, 2007

How can anyone remain Catholic?


Sometimes people wonder how anyone can remain Catholic these days. I stay Catholic for the same reason I’m not in Canada. I’m furious with United States leadership but I love the country and I’m not about to leave. I’ll stay and do my bit for positive change. I’m angry with the Church leadership and saddened with the political naiveté and insincerity towards Catholic Social Teaching among conservative members of the congregation but I’m not about to leave.
.
I love the Mass and devotions. I believe in the Eucharist. I have a devotion to Our Blessed Mother Mary. Even if I did decide to leave I’m not really left with a lot of choices. I suppose I could consider one of the Eastern Rite churches such as the Greek Orthodox or maybe even the Episcopal Church. But, I was born and raised Catholic and this is where I belong.
.
We’re going through another rough time in our history but I have faith we will survive it and become a better church because of it. There are many Christ-loving progressive voices within the Church; the sisters are doing a great job, trying to wake up the congregations. The more light that is let in on the leadership because of the press and courts the sooner those abuse cases will hopefully be resolved.
.
Other changes slowly advance at a snails pace.